Friday, December 18, 2009

Can I put a front main oil seal on my 90 dodge dakota myself?

I was told I have a small leak from my front main oil seal and thought perhaps I may do it myself. how hard would it be?Can I put a front main oil seal on my 90 dodge dakota myself?
It's not hard at all provided you know how and have the proper tools%26gt;Can I put a front main oil seal on my 90 dodge dakota myself?
Having no knowledge of your skills and abilities as an automobile mechanic, I couldn't comment on the possibility that you could do this job yourself. I'll just say that I would rather not attempt the job with the car parked in my driveway.
You didn`t say which motor. Most cases it involves removing the serpentine belt, fan shroud, lower crank pulley. Insert a screwdriver behind the old seal and pry it out. Gently tap in the new one till it`s flush with the cover, and reverse order to reassemble. You may have to remove a few other items depending on your motor but that is the basic way, no timing chain to worry about. Everything you need to remove is on the outside of the motor
Unless you have lots of mechanic's stuff and knowledge, I'm betting pretty darn difficult to impossible. Even if you were a mechanic, I bet it would be cumbersome.
You are going to need special tools to pull the belt pully and timing gear from the shaft, and a puller to get the seal off. It won't be easy!
  • facial cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment