Saturday, December 26, 2009

I have taken my truck in to replace my clutch. the mech suggested I replace my oil seal now my truck leaks ?

I took my truck in to have the clutch repaired . The mech recommended that I also replace the rear oil seal ( that was not leaking but was old) AND I HAD IT REPLACED. After the repair i have been leaking oil all over my drive way.I have taken it back twice and now he says that he cant fix the leak and It is my crankshaft . how do I proceed?I have taken my truck in to replace my clutch. the mech suggested I replace my oil seal now my truck leaks ?
I had similar problems last summer and was glad I got my repairs covered under my extended warranty. extended warranties are less expensive if you don't buy them from the manufacturer. http://www.simpleautoquotes.com/Auto-War鈥?/a>I have taken my truck in to replace my clutch. the mech suggested I replace my oil seal now my truck leaks ?
Rick the answer is slowly. the mechanic shop must make good regaurdless because of this fact, they recomended and sold you a replacement of the seal, they were bound at this time to deliver it without a leak from that seal and the mechanic doing the work should have examined the wear surface that the seal road on for grooves created from usage in which case he should have told you of the wear, either sugjested a speedy sleave be installed or replacing the part. is a worn part their fault? No but lack of examining it is especially when they sold you the seal to keep you from having a leak.
He should be repairing this at least the labor portion. You can get what are called Speedy sleeves to slide onto the crank to make a new sealing surface for the seal. Sounds like he is trying to cheat the repair by not removing the required parts to install the seal correctly. Talk to another shop or file a complaint with the gov..
Is it an older Ford? Some older fords had a pin that stuck up into the older seals and has to be removed for the new seals to work. I had my engine rebuilt (1967, Ford 302) and when I went to put it in it poured out oil. Took it back and the mechanic told me that was the problem. Take it for a second opinion and inform the first guy of it first telling him that if it is his fault, you expect to be reimbursed or you will sue him in small claims court. Good luck.






The other post has a good point,and to add to that,it can also have to do with positioning of the seal. If it is not in there squarely,it can also leak.

No comments:

Post a Comment