Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Oil Seal/ Oil Pan?

I went to Wal Mart today for an oil change and they turned me away because they said something having to do with my oil seal/ oil pan was faulty. Can anyone enlighten me and offer advice as to what type of place or mechanic to take it to.Oil Seal/ Oil Pan?
I suspect what they were talking about was the gasket that seals the oil pan to the engine block. If that is the case, you might be able to tighten the bolts that hold it in place. Other wise, it isn't to major of a repair, especially if your car is front wheel drive. Any engine repair shop can do the repair, and if they want more than $100.00, I'd go somewhere else!Oil Seal/ Oil Pan?
Terry is correct about the pan gasket. But, if it's a front or rear crank seal leaking, according to the type of car you have, replacement of the seals could get costly. Most, if not all engines, made in the last ten years or so, have one piece rear seals that require either the transmission or engine be removed,(or at least separated) to replace it. I suggest you take it to a reputable local shop and have it looked at. It may be something as simple as a oil pressure sensor leaking down onto the seal or pan. Cost: maybe 30 bucks. And like going to a doctor, always get a second opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment