Saturday, December 26, 2009

I just replaced my oil pan gasket and rear main seal. Should I use the old engine oil to clean the engine out?

I replaced the seals, but there is a minimal amount of debris left over from the old oil pan gasket (I did my best the get most of it out - there is very very little left). Should I run the old oil I drained (has ~2500 miles in it) temporarily to clean things out just in case? OR should I just not worry about it and fill it with fresh oil?





ThanksI just replaced my oil pan gasket and rear main seal. Should I use the old engine oil to clean the engine out?
If you fear that you disturbed some crap and left it in the pan and your old oil is clean, it would be OK to do that. The main component here is the oil filter. Run the car a few miles and replace the filter. The oil is really secondary as a precaution against debris. The oil will function as a vehicle to carry any dirt to the filter where the filter will remove it from the oil.


FYI, when you had the pan off, there was really no reason not to put it back squeaky clean.


IMHO, of course.


Karl at TopgunwonI just replaced my oil pan gasket and rear main seal. Should I use the old engine oil to clean the engine out?
you mean there is still sludge in the oil pan? kerosene will work better then oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment