Saturday, December 26, 2009

When I seal my gun stock with mineral spirits and tongue oil, can I save and reuse my mixture?

if I seal it in a container....or do I need to remix a new mixture?When I seal my gun stock with mineral spirits and tongue oil, can I save and reuse my mixture?
Tung oil -not tongue- will harden in a container, just like any varnish. It'll keep for a short time, like long enough to give your gunstock a couple coats. The more mineral spirits you have in it, the longer it'll take to harden up, of course. If it's in a wide-top container, you might try laying a sheet of thin plastic wrap directly on top of the oil. This will keep air off and greatly slow down the hardening. I've had the stuff harden on me, in a small jar. But for some reason, what I'd left in the original can is still good, a year later!When I seal my gun stock with mineral spirits and tongue oil, can I save and reuse my mixture?
Both one and two are valid and possible. I've used Tung oil often, but only enough to do a job. That said however, my usual course is to apply a single coat, let it bleed in as far as it will, then apply another coat, and another, until I'm satisfied.





The mineral spirits dillutes the oil, and can help it have a longer shelf life as well as a better absorbtion rate, but it doesn't add to the qualities tung oil was designed for.





I'm thinking for something the size of a gun stock you might mix up a 12 oz. cup. if it's not enough, mix more in the same proportions. If it's too much, either plan another coating or dispose of the mix properly, unless in fact you plan on using the excess in a short time span.





Steven Wolf
dont see why not. put it in a two liter plastic bottle and it will stay good for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment