Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What is the shelf life on synthetic motor / engine oil? Sealed? Unsealed?

I have some oil sealed in their containers that I found in my storage. They've been sitting for two-three years, but don't know if they're still good.





I guess I'm worried about condensation in them. I know if they haven't been heated or contaminated, they're suppose to be still good. (Yes, they're sealed in their container) But what about condensation? My little storage unit isn't air conditioned, so it gets really cold in winter and hot in summer.





I'm worried about water condensation being inside the sealed container and using them on my motorcycle.





Please state your facts, not opinions. And if you have the source also, that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!What is the shelf life on synthetic motor / engine oil? Sealed? Unsealed?
Shelf life on sealed motor oil is indefinite, even if the container was not sealed it still fine, condensation would be an issue with numerous heating and cooling cycles such as in an engine not stored in a garage. The oil container will deform a bit to compensate for cooling and heating contraction and expansion, its not sucking in any air so no moisture can get in, mineral oil is stable to 425 degrees F, synthetic to over 500 F. The only issue is the SAE rating, they keep improving the additive packages all the time.What is the shelf life on synthetic motor / engine oil? Sealed? Unsealed?
I have a bottle of Lucas synthetic additive at my mechanics place. The reason it's there is he lost the top. I only use a quarter bottle at a time, and I'm down to my last 1/4. It's been there with just a rag over the top for about 4 months. I have not noticed any difference in the stuff from the bottle with the cap, to the bottle my wrench has.





(I always used to take the bottle home with me to top off if I needed it, and took it back every service interval. I never needed to top off. At 50,000, I got no oil burning issues or leaks.)





Before there were synthetic oils available to the general public, I always used to keep a quart of ';plain Jane'; oil in the trunk of the car. (Back when I owned one, that is.) Great invention, that plastic jug. If you opened the old cardboard and tin top cans, you pretty well much had to use it, or lose it, pretty quick. But most of the ';lose it'; was it falling over and leaking. I can't recall that I've ever had oil ';go bad';. Ever.





Oil, unlike break fluid, does not absorb moisture. And truth be told, if it were not for the collector value of some of the older cardboard and tin top oil cans, I would not hesitate to use the oil in them! If oil can live in your engine, vented to the outside air, and used for 3,000 or more miles under the conditions it's used under, I'm pretty sure that even re-sealed plastic jugs are good. And that means that sealed have to be even better.





(Some of you are gonna holler: ';OK how about water in the oil! The stuff that makes it a foamy tan color!'; Well, here you go. The water in the oil that makes it foamy gets in the system by poor pressure washing technique, a bad head gasket, etc. Oil don't just sit around and suck up moisture. Even in the old cardboard cans. I know since I have a few. Except for a few scratches and some fading of the logo, they look just fine. No swelling like bad food cans, etc.)





Use the oil. We are running out. Look at my avatar pic. That Lucas goes in my FXDWG. That TC-88 runs a bit warm. (But not as warm as the new ones, from what I hear!) And I am VERY protective of my motor. Only thing I worry about more is my brakes.





Use your oil. If it could go bad, they would put an expiration date on it. Like on milk. Ride safe. Ciao!
I know that most folks don't think about how long it was in the ground before they grabbed it off the shelf at the store.





There is no practical shelf life. It will last something like 30,000 years in its current state. You might give it a shake to mix the anti-wear additives that might have settled a little.





Good Luck!
Synthetic oil should never go bad. Any condensation will be on the outside of the container not inside. You could store it underwater and it still wouldn't hurt it.The whole purpose of synthetic oil is that it doesn't break down or lose viscosity.
are you getting ready for CryoFreeze and coming back the next milinium?


hehehehah





Ok, its alreay 300 million years old. Hah !


All oil is synthetic today. Dont you know.





but it is good as the protection additives in the oil.


if it can last for 6 months in a filty crank case , imagine how long sitting on a garage shelf.





Maybe 60 years?





its sealed so what condensate?

No comments:

Post a Comment