Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My rear end has been leaking gear oil out the pinyon seal. Gear oil is now comming out from my rear tire?

I found a puddle of gear oil comming the inside of my rear wheel. I took tire off and it looks like its comming out through the axle in through the brake drum area. Why is this happening? is there a bigger problem? Can I fix this myself? Is my vent clogged? How much will a mechanic charge me to fix all this?My rear end has been leaking gear oil out the pinyon seal. Gear oil is now comming out from my rear tire?
a clogged vent will do it. the oil coming out inside your tire is a axle seal leaking. take a piece of wire and see if you can unclog the vent. it might stop leaking on it,s own after the vent is opened.My rear end has been leaking gear oil out the pinyon seal. Gear oil is now comming out from my rear tire?
The pinion seal isn't that hard to change, but an axle seal is a little more difficult depending on the application. I would first be sure that is is an axle seal leaking and not the wheel cylinder which is located inside the brake drum.





For the pinion seal you will have to drop the rear drive shaft and tape the ujoint together to make sure your caps dont come off the u joint. Then remove the big nut in the center of the pinion and lightly tap with a hammer to remove the pinion. You may have a seal sheild behind the pinion that should slide right off also. Then pop out the seal and replace with a new one.


A tip that has helped me allot over the years is when I take something apart I lay it on a piece of cardboard in the order that I removed it. That way I know the order to put it back together.


Thanks, hope I helped:)
The above is right, an axle seal on top of the possible leaking pinion seal is bad, this would be the only reason for gear oil to be there, a leaking pinion seal would never get gear oil here. Labour really depends on the vehicle, the parts are really cheap not more than 20 bucks for the axle seal, labour is what can run high. the pinion seal as well is relatively cheap (seen some that run $60 though), but again labour is the main component.
Behind that rear wheel is your axle and bearing and seals.But with your front pinion seal in the front of the rear end I would say that its time to tear the rear end apart and replace all seals and axle bearing but to do that you might be in for some machine work with a press to get the bearings and seals replaced.If your not familair with doing this have someone that has more experience do it or take it to a shop.The cost is not all that bad to have it done by a shop and just think you get a warranty with it to incase of something else might go bad they would be responsible for.But find a good shop that can do it and if you can pay for it stand there and watch them you might get some experience by asking questions to them about the work on your car.hgm20002000@yahoo.com
your axle seal is shot I. it happen to me and my brakes would lock up and it was really weird feeling. my grandpa fixed it so it was cheap for me. i dont think it will be very expensive. as far as the rear end goes the gasket on the '; pumkin '; is pretty cheap.
Sounds like someone overfilled the rear end pinion seal two axle seals and a new set of rear brake shoes you can replace the brakes and axle seals, let a pro do the pinion seal....
you need to get both axle seals replaced and a new pinion seal, ask your local mechanic for prices to fix.
You've got a bad pinion seal and at least one bad axle seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment