Monday, April 26, 2010

Oil leak by crankshaft seal?? 03 Impala?

I recently bought a used 1 owner 2003 Chevy Impala. They said they did a 150 point inspection (the dealership) and changed the oil...Now 33 days later (after the 30 day bumper to bumper warranty expired, should still have 60 day drive train warranty) the low oil level light came on so I checked the oil and there is almost no oil in it. I immediately put oil in and called the dealership. They said they found some leaking around the seals and gaskets (crankshaft seal being one of them) but that its common in cars with this mileage (92,000). They want to do an oil consumption test where I drive 250 miles and then they check the level to see how much and how fast it is leaking oil. Any thoughts on how expensive this would be to fix and what should I be wanting them to do? I don't really know anything about cars and I dint want them to tell me its nothing and then in 5 months I'm going out of town and my engine blows....I have small kids...I cant let that happen. Any suggestions, thoughts, or advice for me would be great!Oil leak by crankshaft seal?? 03 Impala?
Sounds to me like your PCV system is stopped up.





The PCV vents the pressure in the oil system back into the intake. When it gets clogged pressure builds up in the oil system and it starts to push oil out of just about every seal there is including the crankshaft seals.





If they noticed oil coming out of all of the seals and didn't think to check the PCV they are not very competent.





You can get a PCV valve at just about any parts store. They are cheap and usually easy to replace. I am not 100% sure where it is located on your particular engine but it is most likely on top of the valve cover.Oil leak by crankshaft seal?? 03 Impala?
You should be concerned if your crankshaft was very low on only 33 days of running. A little oil consumption with that mileage is OK But yes let them do the test and you also track your oil use. It sounds like you have a bag oil leak or if you don't see any leaks then it blowing out the exhaust. Good Luck!!!
Ok the front crank seal on those always have some seepage if leak was bad enough to losse that much oil you should have seen spots the fact that the dealer wants to do a consumption test mean that 1 they r honest and 2 no leaks they found r bad enough to explain a huge oil loss. Let them run the consumption test and U run one 2 its easy top off oil to full mark on dip stcick then every 100 miles or so check oil and see if and how much you lost. And if more than a 1/2 of a qt between oil changes you r either buring it or leaking it. if need more info email me at kmp1171@att.net

No comments:

Post a Comment