Friday, January 8, 2010

Yamaha DT100 oil seal replacement?

I have had a problem with the clutch cover leaking on my 1981 DT 100 so I thought I would do it right and take the cover off. I sealed the leaks coming from the actual aluminum case, now i just need to replace the oil seal around the kick start. I took it too a mechanic and he said it needs to be replace so how exactly should i go about removing it and replacing it? At first glance it seems pretty snug in its position and I don't want to damage the case. Also, where is the best place to buy a replacement part? Would my local motorcycle shop have to order one? I can get one for $6 on eBay so is that my best option? Also, how should i install the new seal to insure it doesn't leak. Thank you.Yamaha DT100 oil seal replacement?
The seal is just pressed in. Pull it out.





With the side cover on the engine -


Remove the kickstart lever.


Tap a thin blade screw driver in between the seal and kickstart shaft.


Pry it out (be careful not to damage the side cover).





With the side cover off -


Pry out the seal (be careful the end of the screw driver blade doesn't scrape the cover, where the outside edge of the seal touches).





To install -


Clean the side cover where the seal sits.


Tap the seal in a little at a time, so it goes in straight.


It's a tight fit - that's what keeps it from falling out.

No comments:

Post a Comment