Friday, January 8, 2010

Oil Leak in 2001 Chevy Tracker- Rear Main Seal and Oil Pan. What to do?

I have a 2001 Chevy Tracker. The car has been paid off for two years and has 106,000 miles on it.





My car had been smoking and my oil had been consistently low. I took it in to the Chevy dealership to get it checked out. The engine was saturated with burnt oil and it had to be cleaned off. They ran a diagnostic and put dye in my engine and determined that I have a severe oil leak coming from my rear main seal and oil pan. The mechanic said it would cost $1800 to fix (!!!). However, my father works in the car industry and found someone he knows who will fix it for $500.





Here is the catch... My father lives 1000 miles away. I will be moving back near him in August, though, and could get it fixed then.





My question: Do I keep filling up my oil and let it smoke for 3 months until I move and my dad's friend can fix it for cheap? Do I get another estimate? Do I pay the $1800? Do I go ahead and just buy a new car (it will have to make the 1000 mile drive in August).Oil Leak in 2001 Chevy Tracker- Rear Main Seal and Oil Pan. What to do?
You have several options..but driving it with the bad leak isnt one of them. I would check around for another estimate. I think you could do better. The repair is cheap compared to a new car payment..unless you were looking for a new car anyway..so I would say to check around and get it fixed and then make a more rational decision when not in need...besides you will ahve a hard time trading with the problems you have describedOil Leak in 2001 Chevy Tracker- Rear Main Seal and Oil Pan. What to do?
I have a 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara. I don't know if you have ever seen one but it looks like the exact same SUV you drive. My oil is leaking just like yours!!! If you find an answer would you let me know because 1800 is crazy and I don't have that kind of money just laying around.





I would get another estimate though. Then at least you can compare and know if they were trying to rip you off.
Also check with a Suzuki Side Kick repair shop. Suzuki makes the Chevy Tracker under license for Chevrolet.
BY ALL MEANS GET ANOTHER ESTIMATE 1800 DOLLARS IS RIDULICIOUS GET IT FIXED TO KEEP DRIVING IT WITH OIL LEAKS IS DAMAGING YOUR ENGINE
You need an engine job. Your oil control ring(s) is gone. If your engine is in good condition except oil is constantly leaking, your engine would not smoke.
  • makeup tips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment